Martha Cooper Library History

The Martha Cooper Library opened in November 2006.

The 7,700 square foot library is named in honor of Martha Cooper (1928-2002), the former president and founder of the Garden District Neighborhood Association, who advocated for the library’s construction and was a major force behind school and neighborhood improvements for four decades.

The $2.6 million facility was funded with County and City bond funds and by a Community Development Block grant.