The doors might have been closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but it didn't stop library staff from jumping in to answer folks' most crucial questions.
During the more than 8 weeks the Library was closed, staff were on hand to keep the phone service, Infoline, and email service, Ask a Librarian, running smoothly, offering dependable information in English and Spanish.
The results were nothing short of SPECTACULAR! Consider this...
- In March 2020, staff answered nearly 1,000 research and email questions, a 128% increase from March 2019!
- In April 2020, they answered 1,525 questions, a 445% increase from April 2019!
They assisted customers with digital downloads and streaming services, helped parents locate educational tools for kids during school closures, provided information to small business owners, gave referrals about community resources for food and other basic needs, issued library cards, and much more.
Librarian Kassy Rodeheaver said, “We can look into just about anything you can think of. Challenge us with your information requests!"
Customer gratitude made every minute worth it:
- "Every bit of kindness is magnified right now and doubly appreciated. Stay safe and well."
- "Thank you, these are extraordinary circumstances, and it is much appreciated. Stay healthy."
- "Boom! Got it! Thank you so much!"
- "Such a detailed reply! Have a great day."
Library staff are nothing short of information superheroes, providing essential support during this unprecedented time (and all of the time!). As Neil Gaiman once said, "Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one."