Have you ever wondered how to grow and harvest flaxseed? Sowing season is September to November for this beautiful flowering plant.
Check out some flax seeds. See what's available in the catalog.
Common Name: Flax
Scientific Name: Linum lewisii
Seed Saving Level: Advanced
Thrives in both full sun and partial shade. Plant 18-24 inches apart. Flax is planted by sprinkling seeds on the ground. The soil needs to be well drained. Water with the rest of the garden. Once the seed has sprouted, the plant is drought tolerant.
Pull stems up by the roots and bundle with either a rubber band or string. Hang in a warm, well ventilated room for 3-5 weeks, whenever stems are completely dry.
Remove the seeds from the pods, which is the most difficult part of the process. You can put a pillowcase over the top of the bundle, then roll the heads with a rolling pin. Pour the entire contents into a bowl. Stand outdoors on a breezy (but not windy) day and pour the contents from one bowl into another bowl while the breeze blows away the chaff.
- Gardenia Creating Gardens: Linum lewisii (Prairi Flax)
- Gardening Know How: Flaxseed Harvesting Time: Learn How to Harvest Flaxseed in Gardens
Flax Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened natural nut butter (e.g., almond, cashew, peanut)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) maple syrup
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (80 g) flaxseed meal
- 2/3 cup (100 g) raisins (omit for keto)
Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease or spray the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine the nut butter, maple syrup, milk, optional vanilla and cinnamon, until blended. Stir in the flaxseed meal and raisins until combined. Evenly divide batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden brown, the surface of the cookies appears dry, and the centers feel just firm to the touch. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges to loosen, then remove and place on rack to cool completely.