PCPL Awarded $100,000 Grant for Teen Media Spaces
We're proud to announce that we've received a $100,000 national grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to plan and design three Learning Lab spaces for teens!
The funds will help us design a mobile media lab, a youth media space in downtown Tucson, and an online community in Pima County specifically for youth to connect and share their experiences through digital media arts. What’s more exciting is that this project will be lead by the library’s Youth Design Team, which includes CreateIT students, iTNation teen mentors, and youth who participate in PCPL’s Teen Advisory Boards. Other PCPL partners include Access Tucson, Josh Schachter Photography, and the University of Arizona Computer Science Department.
By the numbers: The Learning Labs grant
- $1.2 million – The total amount of grant funding provided by IMLS and the MacArthur Foundation
- 12 – The number of grant recipients
- 105 – The number of grant applicants
- 33 – The number of states represented among the grant applicants
- 18 months – The timeframe in which PCPL will complete the planning and design process for three Learning Labs