Health & Wellness
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Doing research? Got homework? Need information? Dig in to this printable library of thousands of eBooks and encyclopedia articles on almost every subject, from arts to biographies to business plans to health and medicine to science and technology. You can email or download, too! Check here for books like the Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine and the Encyclopedia of Drugs, Alcohol, and Addictive Behavior, plus many books on specific health and medicine matters.
- Your source for information about the Health Insurance Marketplace. Learn about health plans for individuals and businesses as available through the Affordable Care Act.
- MedLine Plus
- Get reliable, up-to-date health information in over forty languages direct from the National Library of Medicine.
- Delve deeper into biomedical research with literature from a variety of trustworthy sources.
- Multilingual health information for refugees and the people who care for them.
Online Reasearch Tools
Health & Wellness News
How happy are Tucsonans? Participants in the Happiness Community Conversations were surveyed; you can read the report here to find out.
Discover lifestyle choices that can help you prevent Type 2 diabetes, minimize symptoms and improve your health.
Where can food be grown? Growing Cities: A Film about Urban Farming in America demonstrates that the answer is just about anywhere.
Upcoming Health & Wellness Events at the Library
Monday, April 21st, 2pm - 3pm, Dusenberry-River
Presented by the Alzheimer's Association Desert Southwest Chapter.
Workshop will provide attendees with the tools to understand what Alzheimer's disease is, what signs to be aware of, what to do to reduce risks, and how to manage the disease after diagnosis.
Tuesday, April 22nd, 11am - 1pm, Oro Valley
An ambassador will be available to provide information and referral service on issues concerning older people, such as housing options, transportation, food, mental health, caregiving, social services and legal aid. One-on-one discussion with an ambassador is available on a first-come first-served basis.
Tuesday, April 22nd, 1pm - 2pm, Valencia
Free blood pressure check.
Tuesday, April 22nd, 6pm - 7pm, Valencia
Free blood pressure check.
Wednesday, April 23rd, 11am - 12pm, Dewhirst-Catalina
Presented by the Wellness Council of Arizona.
Join us for this informative workshop on options to prepare healthy entrees, sides, salads and even desserts. Find out how to keep the taste and lose the unhealthy ingredients.
Space is limited. Registration for this event opens on Monday, March 24th, 2014. Please contact the Dewhirst-Catalina Branch Library at 520-594-5243 to reserve your place.