The 2019 Book: Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
Join Pima County Public Library for our first-ever One Book, One Community program!
Join us for conversations about the book in person and online.
Parable of the Sower tells the story of Lauren, a young black woman who has to discover more about the world and herself when she finds herself pulled from her family and the only home she's ever known due to dire and deadly circumstances. She ventures onto the road to find safety, and finds a new family and a new creed along the way.
Read the book
Discuss at a Library
Discuss the Entire Book
- Joel D. Valdez Main Library, Saturday, February 23, 1:30-3:00pm
- Oro Valley Public Library, February 26, 6:00-7:30pm
Discuss Chapters 1-12
- Quincie Douglas Library, Sunday, February 3, 1:30-3:00pm
- Sahuarita Library, Saturday, February 9, 10:30am-noon
- Joel D. Valdez Main Library, Wednesday, February 13, 3:00-5:00pm - For teens only
- Martha Cooper Library, Thursday, February 14, 6:00-7:30pm
- Mission Library, Tuesday, February 19, 6:00-7:30pm
- Miller-Golf Links Library, Thursday, February 21, 6:00-7:30pm
Discuss Chapters 13-25
- Quincie Douglas Library, Sunday, March 3, 1:30-3:00pm
- Sahuarita Library, Saturday, March 9, 10:30am-noon
- Joel D. Valdez Main Library, Wednesday, March 13, 3:00-5:00pm - For teens only
- Martha Cooper Library, Thursday, March 14, 6:00-7:30pm
- Mission Library, Tuesday, March 19, 6:00-7:30pm
- Miller-Golf Links Library, Wednesday, March 20, 6:00-7:30pm
Discuss the Book Online
- Discuss any time with #KindredOBOC and #ParableoftheSower
- Join Twitter chats using #KindredOBOC on:
- Chapters 1-12, Thursday, February 28, noon-1:00pm
- Chapters 13-25, Thursday, March 28, noon-1:00pm
This program is presented by Kindred, the team dedicated to reaching, supporting, and celebrating the black community.
This project is supported by the Arizona State Library, Archives & Public Records, a division of the Secretary of State, with federal funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.