Due to the pandemic, many of us—kids, tweens, teens, and adults—are spending a lot of time on computers, tablets, and smartphones these days. The upcoming hot summer months may also mean more indoor time, some of it on computers.
Why not make the most of this screen time by playing fun and engaging games that help build skills? Here are some of our favorite online resources and games for learning through playing:
For kids, tweens, and teens
- We Are Teachers has compiled a list of fun and entertaining online learning games. Kids, tweens, and adults can build skills in math, art, reading, and other areas.
- Education.com’s list of free online vocabulary games is sorted by grade level and provides links to games for learners in elementary and middle school.
- Common Sense’s List provides information about low-cost and free vocabulary-building games, apps, and sites.
- ESL Games Plus offers links to several interactive games for young English learners who want to improve their listening, grammar, vocabulary, and other skills.
For all ages (Including adults!)
The UN World Food Program’s Freerice games help people of all ages learn vocabulary, foreign languages, geography, art history, and more.
- Note that by playing Freerice and answering questions correctly, you also contribute to the fight against world hunger. Read more about how your playing benefits the World Food Program.
- Vocabulary.com’s interactive vocabulary quizzes and learning tools adjust to your level so that you can master new words at your own pace.
- Our own E-Library offers free interactive resources for learning or practicing a foreign language.
- Improve Memory’s free online math and memory games are challenging and engaging for all ages.
Of course, there are lots of in-person games you can play to learn too, but for those moments when you’re stuck inside on the computer, these online activities and games can help you make the most of your screen time.
Be warned: You may have so much fun playing that you forget that you’re learning at the same time!
Visit Learn at Home for even more great resources, including:
- Free online tutoring
- Online tools available 24x7x365
- Recommended items from our collection that you can pick up curbside