Do you believe that your success depends on how well you understand your customers? Empathy mapping is a tool that will help you understand why your potential customers and/or users would be motivated to use (or ignore) your product or service. You can also use it to map what you learn during customer interviews.
You can use Empathy Maps for insight on individuals, customer segments, "personas," and stakeholders.
Empathy Maps are freely available in many formats:
- Printable PDF canvas
- Interactive canvas [google doc]
- Interactive game [from Innovation Games]
- In the Idea+Space in large format for dry-erase marker
- Make your own!
- There are also smartphone apps
- How to Use Persona Empathy Mapping (Knox, 2014).
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers (Osterwalder, 2010).
- Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers (Gray, 2010).
- The Empathy Map (Stanford d.school)