About Joel D. Valdez Main Library - Jácome Plaza
Using the Plaza
To book the plaza for an event, please contact the City of Tucson's Parks and Recreation Department at 837-8054 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
History of the Plaza
In 2004 a column was erected in the Jácome Plaza to commemorate Carlos Corella Jácome and his family. Carlos Jácome was the owner of Jácome's Department Store, which stood on this site from 1951-1980.
Jácome Plaza Triptych
Jácome's Department Stores, Inc.
1896 – 1980
This was the final location of Jácome's Department Store from 1951 to 1980. For twenty-nine years the people of Tucson and our neighbors in Mexico frequented this site. The concept of retail clustering began in the Tucson area when business rival, Harold Steinfeld, agreed to build and lease a store to Jácome's in order to create a retail hub downtown. Jácome's is best remembered as a successful, three-generation, family owned and operated department store. It represented one of the many successes achieved by the dedicated Mexican people who pioneered this city. The success of Jácome's was based on community involvement and dedication to the principles of honest dealings and personal friendly service.
In addition Jácome's commissioned works of art establishing a precedent for private sector support of local artists. Jácome's displayed the artistic works of Salvador Corona, Dale Nichols and Edith Hamlin. Hamlin's medallions were mounted above the arches on the exterior entrances at both Stone and Pennington and became the lasting symbol of Jácome's store.
At the Scott and Congress location, Jácome's underwent two complete renovations before moving to a more prominent location at Stone and Pennington. For eighty-four years Jácome's evolved, grew and prospered as did the city of Tucson. The demise of Jácome's mirrored the decline of retailing in downtown Tucson. The Jácome family wishes to recognize and thank the many employees whose hard work, dedication, and loyalty were critical to its success.
…dedicated by the …..25 October 2004
- Carlos Corella Jácome
- 1870 – 1932
- Ures, Sonora – Tucson, Arizona
- Dionícia Germán Jácome
- 1869 – 1927
- Ures, Sonora – Tucson, Arizona
In 1870, Carlos Corella Jácome was born to a family of very modest means in Ures, Sonora, Mexico. In the late 1870s, the family moved to Tucson in the fertile Santa Cruz valley. As a nine year old, Carlos stopped his education and went to work as a laborer at the Placita de San Agustín. His hard working, cheerful and conscientious nature attracted the attention of Mr. Isadore Mayer who hired the youngster. Carlos worked for Mayer & Brothers Dry Goods Store as a cash boy for two years and then became a clerk at L. Zeckendorf and Company, forerunner of Steinfeld's Department Store. This proved to be the strong foundation that supported the evolution of his family retail business.
In the early 1880s, Dionícia Germán and her mother, Doña Trinidad Montijo Germán, arrived in Tucson from Ures, Sonora. Dionícia married Carlos in 1889, and the combined family moved into Doña Trinidad's home at 271 North Stone Avenue which still stands as of this date.
After 15 years at L. Zeckendorf, Carlos was ready to start his own business. He and Loreto Carrillo opened La Bonanza in 1896. The next evolution was Jácome and Manzo, which he formed with Genaro S. Manzo. By 1913 Carlos was on his own, but he maintained lifelong friendships with his previous partners. In 1928, Carlos incorporated Jácome's Department Store.
Carlos was naturalized as a United States citizen in October, 1894. Active in community and political affairs throughout his life, he was one of the founding members of Alianza Hispano-Americana which provided important services to the Spanish speaking populace. At the Arizona Constitutional Convention convened in October, 1910, Carlos was one of five delegates elected to represent Pima County. When Arizona statehood became a reality in 1912, Carlos was very proud of his contribution to both his state and country.
Carlos remained active in business and community affairs until his death in 1932. The success of Jácome's Department Store, Inc. during its eighty-four year history is directly attributable to the hard work and sacrifice of Carlos and Dionícia, their children and grandchildren.
The Jácome Children
All thirteen children of Carlos and Dionícia Jácome grew up working in their family store. They played important roles in the development of the store and they were involved in every aspect of the business. In 1928 Carlos incorporated the store with his thirteen children. Each felt a responsibility, inherited from their parents, for community involvement, and many of their descendants are still active in the Tucson area. Our community continues to benefit from their contributions in the fields of education, philanthropy, arts and culture.
- Carlos C. Jácome, Jr.
- 1891-1965 Anita
- Jácome Dalton
- 1893-1957 Sara
- Jácome Parker
- Josephine Jácome Bloom
- Rose Jácome Aros
- Henry G. Jácome
- Juan G. Jácome
- Ramón G. Jácome
- Frank Jácome
- Alejandro G. Jácome
- Arthur G. Jácome
- Richard G. Jácome
- Augustine E. Jácome
Find information about the landscaping and the Plaza Planter Project here.