Steward Observatory--Origin of Name
Built as a memorial to Henry B. Steward by his widow, Lavinia. In 1916, Mrs. Steward gave $60,000 anonymously towards construction. Mrs. Steward was an amateur astronomer. She died before the observatory was opened. This is a building on the UA campus. It is located near north Cherry Avenue and the UA mall.
"Things, places named for locals in the Old Pueblo." Arizona Daily Star. April, 21, 1991. Page E1.
Last Update: 12-10-2010 4:44pm