Librarian Files

Romanization of Foreign Languages

There are several foreign languages that use different alphabets from the English language. When a language like Japanese or Chinese is written in a format so an English speaker can read it, it is called Romanization. Romanization is a form of Transliteration. Transliteration is converting one writing system into another; Romanization is when a writing system is being converted into the Roman alphabet. (The alphabet used for English.)

The Library of Congress has tables that show how various foreign languages are Romanized. This information is on the Library of Congress web site at:

Article tagged with: Romanization, Tranliteration, Alphabets

Last Update: 7-24-2014 11:59am

<< Back
Pima County Website