El Con Water Tower
The El Con Water Tower is located near Randolph Way and Broadway. (Across from the El Con Mall.) This water tower was built in 1928 to serve the developing Colonia Solana neighborhood. When the water tower was first put up in is was just a standard steel water tower.
The Colonia Solana neighborhood wanted something less unsightly. The developer of the neighborhood hired Tucson architect Roy Place to design an enclosure. In 1932, an ornate structure of chicken wire and plaster was built to hide the tank.
In 1980, the El Con Water Tower was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1994, the water tower was restored at the cost of $100,000.
“Tower’s top restored.” Arizona Daily Star. October 28, 2008. Page B3.
“What’s with that?” Arizona Daily Star. January 25, 2002. Page F4.