Librarian Files

Tucson Public Library--Name Changes

 
The first free library in Tucson was the "Carnegie Free Library" completed in June 1901.  This library was under the Tucson City Government and known as the "Carnegie Free Library."

On January 7, 1957 the name of the "Carnegie Free Library" (Tucson) was changed to "Tucson Public Library" by the city council.  (Resolution #3533.)

Then in 1990 the "Tucson Public Library" name was changed to the "Tucson Pima Public Library."  Although the library was still under the Tucson City Government, this name change was done to reflect an increased county role in the library system.

The library was acquired by Pima County Government in July 2006.  On November 14, 2006 the name was changed to "Pima County Public Library."
 

Name
Dates
Carnegie Free Library
June 1901-January 7, 1957
Tucson Public Library
January 7, 1957 to 1990
Tucson Pima Public Library
1990 to November 14, 2006
Pima County Public Library
November 14, 2006

 
Sources:
"City library director plans to resign, cites burnout." Arizona Daily Star.  June 19, 1991
"Councilmen rechristen the library."  Arizona Daily Star. January 8, 1957. Page B1 and Staff notes.
"County settle two lawsuits, buys flood-damaged home." Arizona Daily Star.    November 15, 2006.
 
 
 

Article tagged with: Library

Last Update: 7-28-2014 11:43am

<< Back
Pima County Website