Named for A. R. and Nellie Swan (not for Dr. Swan, who was in charge of a TB sanitarium in Tucson.) A. R. Swan lived in Old Fort Lowell, just east of Swan. By 1931 the Swans had three children: Lindsay, Alberta, and Alma-Mae. They tried farming north of Fort Lowell, but not enough water was available because Mormon families had taken water rights.
Information from E. C. Smith, Pima County street name expert. A telephone call made by PCPL staff on 05/06/2001.