Librarian Files

Steward Observatory--Origin of Name

Built as a memorial to Henry B. Steward by his widow, Lavinia. In 1916, Mrs. Steward gave $60,000 anonymously towards construction. Mrs. Steward was an amateur astronomer. She died before the observatory was opened. This is a building on the UA campus.  It is located near north Cherry Avenue and the UA mall.
 
Source:
"Things, places named for locals in the Old Pueblo." Arizona Daily Star. April, 21, 1991. Page E1.
 
 

Article tagged with: Steward Observatory

Last Update: 12-10-2010 4:44pm

<< Back
Pima County Website