Librarian Files

Randolph Golf Course (Park) – Origin of name

 
Epes Randolph was a Tucson pioneer and executive with the Southern Pacific Railroad.  He donated the majority of land that is now Reid Park.  Originally Reid Park was called Randolph Park but the name was changed in 1978.  The golf course, recreation center, tennis courts and swimming pool still bear Randolph’s name.
Randolph died Aug. 22, 1921, in his apartment at the downtown Santa Rita Hotel, which he and another wealthy Tucsonan, Levi H. Manning, had built in 1905. Randolph was buried at Evergreen Cemetery. Four years after Randolph's death, Willis E. Barnum and his wife paid $14,896 for a 480-acre parcel of land to create a city park in Tucson, deeding it to the city on a long-term purchase agreement.
Bounded by Country Club Road, Alvernon Way, Broadway and 22nd Street, the park was named in honor of Epes Randolph, and remained Randolph Park for decades until 1978, when it was renamed in honor of Gene Reid, longtime city parks director
 
SEE ALSO IN THIS FILE
Reid Park Zoo

 
 
SEE ALSO IN THIS FILE
Reid Park—Origin of name

 
 
Sources: 
“Epes Randolph came to aid of desperate president.” Tucson Citizen. September 26, 2005. Page A7
“Gene C. Reid dies: parks deal cutter extraordinaire.” Arizona Daily Star September 9, 1999. Page B1.
“History under the shade trees.” Arizona Daily Star. July 27, 1993. Page A8.
“What’s in a name? It might surprise you, the nomenclature of sports facilities.” Arizona Daily Star.  August 21, 1991.  Page D1.  
“What’s with that?” Arizona Daily Star. August 29, 2003. Page F4.
 
 
 
 
 

Article tagged with: Epes Randolph, Randolph Golf Course, Randolph Park

Last Update: 12-14-2010 1:20pm

<< Back
Pima County Website