Librarian Files

Rancho Linda Vista

Rancho Linda Vista is an artist community in Oracle. In 1967 a group of artists largely
affiliated with the University of Arizona decided to create a community in the high desert 
The artist group was spearheaded by Charles Littler
.  The group envisioned - "a place that was conducive to the arts.”
Rancho Linda Vista was a working ranch founded in 1910 by George Stone Wilson.  This
area had originally been a 19th century homestead and stagecoach stop.  Novelist Harold
Bell Wright wrote the book The Mine with the Iron Door, while staying here.
Directions:

“Take North Oracle Road (State Route 77) past Oro Valley and Catalina to Oracle. Two miles past Biosphere 2, take the Oracle Exit onto American Avenue. Turn right onto the road directly across from the first Circle K, which is on the left. At the end of that road, turn left onto Calle Futura and follow for a mile or so as it winds around a hill. At the fork in the road, bear right then turn right at the stop sign onto Linda Vista Road. Continue down Linda Vista Road for a half-mile or so. The entrance to Rancho Linda Vista is on the left. “
 
Sources:
“Arts colony's future takes root in a barn.” Arizona Daily Star.  September 27, 2009. Page E1.
Rancho Linda Vista web site: http://interstice.us/rlvweb/index.htm
 
 
 
 
 

Article tagged with: Rancho Linda Vista

Last Update: 7-17-2014 1:08pm

<< Back
Pima County Website