Librarian Files

Pioneer Memorial (Freeman Pioneer Memorial)

Located in front of the Children's Museum 200 S. Sixth Avenue
This is the oldest piece of public art in Tucson.  It is a semicircular onyx seat with an Arizona marble back rest carved in relief.  It was designed by Bernard Maybeck (1862-1957) and sculpted by Beniamino Buffano (1888-1970). Donated by Merrill Pingree Freeman, a Tucson banker, in 1920. Inscription on the Memorial:   "To the memory of those pioneers of Arizona who have given their lives that we may live in peace and unafraid in this sunkist borderland."

Sources: 
Guide to Public Art in Tucson. [Tucson, Ariz.] : Tucson/Pima Arts Council, c1987. Page15, 
Arizona, the Grand Canyon State: a state guide. 4th completely rev. Ed. New York: Hastings House.1956, Page 259.
 
 
 
 
 

Article tagged with: Pioneer Memorial, Freeman Pioneer Memorial

Last Update: 7-15-2014 2:35pm

<< Back
Pima County Website