Librarian Files

Passport - How to Get

While a January Jan. 30, 2008 article in the Arizona Daily Star stated that individuals can get passports "at some public libraries", Pima County Public Library does not issue passports at any of its libraries. However, there are several other facilities in Tucson that do provide this service.
Department of State Passport Services includes down-loadable forms, by-mail instructions and many other tips
State Department passport application location search:   Search by city or by ZIP code.
In Tucson to apply in person:   
Western Passport Center in Tucson at 7373 E. Rosewood St.

The center can issue passport books and cards on site to qualifying customers who have urgent or emergency travel needs and those who have planned departures within 14 days.

for information on obtaining passports, or call the National Passport Information Center toll-free at 1-877-487-2778.
The University of Arizona has a Passport Application Acceptance Facility:
Other facilities in Tucson Call to make an appointment
(For passport hours telephone each facility.)
Coronado Station Tucson 255 N Rosemont Blvd. Tucson AZ 85711. Telephone:  (520) 571-7160 International Affairs Passport Faculty 1128 E. Mabel St. Tucson AZ 85721-0513. Telephone:(520) 626-7161

Pima County Clerk of Court 110 West Congress Street Room 131 A Tucson AZ 85701. Telephone: (520) 740-3210  

Pima County Juvenile Court 2225 E. Ajo Way Tucson AZ 85713. Telephone: (520) 740-2064

Silverbell Station Post Office 975 N Silverbell Road Tucson AZ 85745. Telephone: (520) 388-9323   Tucson

Desert Foothills Station 1700 E River Rd Tucson AZ 85718. Telephone: (520) 577-8929

Tucson Downtown Station 141 S. 6th Avenue Tucson AZ 85701. Telephone: (520) 903-1958  

Tucson Main Post Office 1501 S. Cherrybelle Strav Tucson AZ 85726-9998. Telephone: (520) 388-5230

Tucson Midtown Station 5401 E 5th Street Tucson AZ 85712-9998. Telephone: (520) 795-9778  

Tucson Mission Station 315 W. Valencia Tucson AZ 85706-9998. Telephone: (520) 889-8647 Tucson Oro

Valley Station 11900 N. La Canada Tucson AZ 85737. Telephone: (520) 229-0320

Tucson Rita Ranch 8235 S. Houghton Rd. Tucson AZ 85747-9998. Telephone: (520) 663-5267
Travel to Canada, Mexico Bermuda and the Caribbean region
(To fulfill the documentation need there is travel document called the Passport Card.  Information about this can be found at: on the U.S. Department of State web site:
On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.
JANUARY 31, 2008 U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.
Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.
U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries. The Passport Card: U.S. citizens may begin applying in advance for this new, limited-use, wallet-size passport card beginning February 1, 2008. It will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda. Other Accepted Travel Documents: SENTRI, NEXUS, FAST and the U.S. Coast Guard Mariner Document. Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty traveling on orders are exempt from the passport requirement. DHS has more information on these travel documents. This information may be seen at
What is WHTI? The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), requiring all travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S.
Source: U.S. Department of State web site:
Children and Passports
U. S. State Department web site:

Article tagged with: Passports, WHTI

Last Update: 8-17-2013 3:58pm

<< Back
Pima County Website