Don Hugo O’Conor
In 1775, the Spanish Crown sent Hugo O'Conor, an Irishman who came to be fondly referred to by the locals as Don Hugo O'Conor, to Tucson to survey the region, locate sites to be used as military posts (presidios), and establish trade routes. Conor was named Commandant Inspector General of the Interior Provinces of New Spain. That year, Don Hugo established the first site: Presidio San Agustin, a site near the center of what is now downtown Tucson.
Pima County Main Library has a painting of Hugo O’Conor on the 2nd floor landing. The artist of this painting is unknown. The painting was donated to the Library by Tucson-area architect Louis Hall and John J. Keller, then President of the Irish American Gaelic Society, in 1995.
Fitzgerald, Rory. "The Founding of the Presidio of Tucson by Hugo O’Conor." Ancient Order of Hibernians - Tucson chapter. http://azaoh.com/hugh_oconor/the-founding-of-the-presidio-of-tucson-by-hugo-oconor (accessed November 22, 2011).