First Golf Courses in Tucson
The first Golf Course in Tucson was a primitive "skin" golf course at the Tucson Country Club as early as 1914. A "skin" golf course is a dirt course which is sprayed with oil to make it smoother.
First grass Golf Course in Tucson was completed in 1929. The El Rio Country Club was opened Nov. 1, 1929, a week after the stock market crash. Despite the economic conditions the club had 250 members. According to the Tucson Parks and Recreation brochure on city golf courses, the El Rio Golf Course remained a country club until 1968 when the city of Tucson acquired it for public use. Now known as the El Rio Municipal Golf Course, it is located at 1400 W. Speedway. In 1929 this was considered northwest of town.
Cox, Larry. The Book of Tucson Firsts. Tucson, Ariz.: Javalina Press, 1998. Page 61.