Librarian Files

Capitals of the Arizona Territory

 

  • In 1863, the U.S. Congress made Arizona a U.S. territory. The first capital was Fort Whipple. 
  • In May 1864 the territory was moved to Prescott.
  • In 1867 the territorial capital was moved to Tucson. 
  • In 1877, the capital moved back to Prescott.
  • Finally Phoenix was declared the permanent capital starting February 4, 1889.

 

Sources:

Arizona blue book 2003-2004 edition. Jan Brewer, Secretary of State

Publisher [Phoenix, Ariz.]. Pages 12-13.

Cosulich, Bernice, Tucson; with map of landmarks, references, glossary, chronology [and] bibliography. Tucson, Arizona Silhouettes [1953]. Pages 175-191.

Sonnichsen, C.L. Tucson, the life and times of an American City. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press. c1982. Pages 56-58, 65-66, 68-69.

 

Article tagged with: tucson, capital, arizona territory

Last Update: 4-7-2014 2:18pm

<< Back
Pima County Website