Librarian Files

Silver Lake

There was an artificially created lake in Tucson called Silver Lake. The lake was built just prior to the Civil War. It was built with an earthen dam. Its water source was the Santa Cruz River. 

Silver lake was located about 2 miles south of Tucson. It served as a recreation area for swimming, boating, and bathing. The lake provided power for the first flour mill in the Tucson village area. 

 The lake resort became an attraction for gamblers, sports, and parties in the 1860s. The lake was home to Tucson’s first roadhouse and nightclub.
 
In the 1880s, the vegetation cover that helped control flooding from the Santa Cruz River grew thinner. As a result, flooding increased and the Silver Lake was torn away by floods in 1886 and 1890 and again at the start of the 20th Century. The lake soon dried up and the buildings were torn down.
 
Source:  
Raines, Elaine. “Tucson's Lake Resort.” Arizona Daily Star. May 17, 1953.
 
 
 

Article tagged with: Silver Lake, Silverlake, Santa Cruz, Tucson, Artificial, Swimming, Nightclub

Last Update: 12-11-2010 10:10am

<< Back
Pima County Website