On this page:
What is Corporate Philanthropy?
Learn About Corporate Giving
- Free Online Training
- Introduction to Corporate Giving
The Foundation Center explains that corporations provide support to nonprofits through direct-giving programs, private foundations, or both. This can sometimes be a source of confusion for grantseekers. For a detailed explanation see What is the difference between a company-sponsored foundation and a corporate direct giving program?
The Foundation Center also provides information on finding corporate sponsorship.
What are in-kind gifts?
The Foundation Center explains that "In-kind" support (contributions of equipment, supplies, or other property as distinct from monetary grants) is often offered by corporate giving programs along with, or in lieu of, cash grants. For more information, see What are in-kind gifts and how can I find out more about them?
Finding Information on Corporate Philanthropy Online
- Local Newspapers
- Search local newspapers for information on charitable giving of local businesses. You will need your library card.
- Foundation Center
- Gives online and print sources for finding information on corporate giving.
- Star 200
- Annual list of large local businesses. Copies are also at the Main Library reference desk.
Finding Information on Corporate Philanthropy in the Library
- Arizona Guide to Grants
- Profiles on more than 1,800 corporations and foundations with a history of making grants to Arizona nonprofits, schools, and other community groups. Only available inside the library.
- Foundation Directory Online Professional
- Combines directory-type information with recent grants awarded. The Grantmaker file lists over 92,000 foundations, corporate donors and grantmaking charities. The Grants file lists over 1.3 million recent grants. Separate 990 file allows you to search across the entire text of over 441,000 recent IRS Forms 990 for grantmaking organizations. The Search Companies capability offers a quick pathway to corporate funders. Only available inside the library.
- Take the Foundation Center's free online tour of this database.
- Guide to Arizona Grantmakers
- The annual directory of corporate and foundation resources for Arizona grantseekers. Call number 361.70681 Ar47
- Tucson Book of Lists
- This annual directory describes the largest local companies by categories of business such as office suppliers, software companies, commercial printers, restaurant chains, and many more. Copies are available at the Main Library reference desk. Call number 338.09791776 In7
- National Guide to Corporate Giving
- Contains information on corporate foundations and corporate direct giving programs. Use the geographic index for Arizona corporations. Call number 361.765025 N213
- National Directory of Corporate Giving
- Profiles corporate foundations and direct giving programs. Provides biographical information on corporate officers and contributions' program decision-makers. Call number 361.765025 N213
Grantmaking Corporations & Businesses
- Searchable lists such as Forbes 500 leading companies, 400 richest people in America, 800 Top CEO's, the Forbes Celebrity 100, etc. Also includes a list of celebrity foundations.
- Star 200 (Major Employers of Southern Arizona)
- This list of the largest 200 employers in southeastern Arizona produced annually by the Arizona Daily Star, can be helpful to grantseekers looking for local businesses which might support their projects.
- Best Buy Foundation and Community Relations
- Raytheon Company's charitable giving
- Target's Community Giving Programs
- Trico Electric Cooperative
- Tucson Electric Power (TEP) Corporate Giving
- Wal-Mart's community programs and grants