Starting a Business
Find valuable information from the City of Tucson, U.S. Small Business Administration, business research checklist, and more!
- Startup Basics
- Provides practical, authoritative guidance for the new entrepreneur. Take the SBA Entrepreneurship Online Course which focuses on the most important areas of business for start-up and already operating businesses to achieve success, including deciding on a business, financing and accounting, buying a business or franchise, and more.
- Arizona Commerce Authority Small Business Services
- Help for starting or expanding a business with a website where you can find information on business licensing, statewide resources, certification, procurement opportunities, and much more.
- Small Business and Self Employed One-Stop Resource
- Provides information and a checklist for starting a new business. Learn about operating a business with employees, deductions and credits, recordkeeping and accounting methods.
- Business Research Checklist
- Offers a list of Main Library resources and Internet sites you can use to identify industry associations, trade shows, consumer trends and industry analysis.
More books on how to write a business plan can be located in the library's catalog by doing a subject search for "business planning".
- RMA Annual Statement Studies
- Provides a point of comparison to businesses in the same industry based on income statements and selected financial ratios.
- Business Plan Basics
- The U.S. Small Business Administration website offers an excellent outline of a business plan. A Spanish version is also available.
- Business Plan Links
- From the Small Business Development Center's National Information Clearinghouse. Includes a variety of links providing sample business plans and templates.
- Business Plans Handbook
- An multi-volume ebook collection of actual business plans for the manufacturing, service, and retail industries.
- Business Plan Templates
- From SCORE (Counselors to America's Small Business).
- U.S. Small Business Administration Guide to Buying a Franchise
- Step by step guide will help you determine the advantages and disadvantages of franchising. Also find links to directories with franchising opportunities.
- Complying with Arizona and federal labor posting requirements
- Federal and Arizona laws require specified notices be posted in a conspicuous places frequented by employees and/or applicants.
- United States Department of Labor
- Helps workers and small business understand their rights and responsibilities.
Naming Your Business
- Arizona Corporation Commission: Corporation Name Search
- Search existing corporate names, limited liability companies, trade name or marks, or other business entities on file.
- Arizona Secretary of State
- Includes trademark and tradename application information.