Southwest Books of the Year
Browsing Children's Books - A :
Clicking on a book cover will search for the book in the catalog. If it is not part of our collection, you may request it by clicking on the Can't Find It link. An icon indicates if the book is chosen by a panelist as one of the year's best.
- A Bailar! / Let's Dance!
- By Judith Ortiz Cofer. Pinata Books. $16.95.
- Judith Ortiz Cofer's newest bilingual children's book is published by Pinata Books, an imprint of Arte Publico Press from the University of Houston.
The premise seemed inviting at first but as the story went on I grew tired of the caricaturized illustrations.
I also expected the text to be fully bilingual and it was not. Spanish phrases were thrown into the text but the story itself was not translated into Spanish. [ ]
- Alicia's Fruity Drinks / Las Aguas Frescas De Alicia
- By Laura Lacamara, Lupe Ruiz-Flores. Pinata Books. $19.95.
- A brief bilingual picture book about the value of drinking fruit drinks, aguas frescas, instead of soda. When Alicia's soccer team member develops diabetes,
Alicia's mother decides to make natural fruit drinks to serve the girls instead of sodas. Everyone loves the new drinks which the team decides to call 'Alicia's Fruity Drinks'. [ ]