Birth to Five
Read Baby Read Reading Club
Read Baby Read is a free program at your library that will help you get your baby ready to read.
Learning to read begins at birth. Read with your baby and build the skills your baby needs to learn to read and succeed. See Why should I read to my baby? for more information.
By completing the items on the gameboard, you are helping your baby develop early literacy skills that are the building blocks for learning.
How It Works
- Register at the Library
- Come to a Library location that offers Babytime (see list of Babytime locations) and pick up your Ring of Rhymes and gameboard.
- Do Activities on the Gameboard
- Each time you complete one activity on the gameboard, color in a shape starting at the top of the paper. Better yet, color them in with your baby!
- Do the items on the list in any order and as many times as you want.
- Pick up a new Rhyme Card
- Come back to the library each time you color five shapes to pick up your next rhyme card for the Ring of Rhymes you received when registering.
- Pick Up Your Prize
- Once all shapes are colored in, return to the library for your Certificate of Completion and toddler book (while supplies last).
Building Blocks for Learning
- Print Motivation
- Being interested in and enjoying books
- Knowing the names of things, feelings, concepts and ideas
- Phonological Awareness
- Being able to hear and play with the smaller sounds in words
- Narrative Skills
- Being able to describe things and events in order and to retell stories
- Print Awareness
- Noticing print all around, knowing that print has meaning and knowing how to handle a book
- Letter Knowledge
- Knowing that letters have names, that the same letter can look different and that specific sounds go with specific letters
About Read Baby Read
Read Baby Read is sponsored by the Library and the Arizona State Library, Archives, and Public Records, with funding granted under the Library Services and Technology Act, which is administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Service. Every Child Ready to Read @ your Library is a program of the Public Library Associations and the Association for Library Services to Children, divisions of the American Library Association. Every Child Ready to Read is a registered trademark and is used with permission.