Friends of the Kirk-Bear Canyon Library
On this page:
We, the Friends of Kirk Bear Canyon Library, are committed to promoting the resources, services, and needs of the library. Monies raised are used to improve the library's services to the community, foster closer relations between the library and the community, assist in enhancing the library's environs, and encourage volunteerism on behalf of the library.
About the Friends of the Kirk-Bear Canyon Library
The Friends of Kirk-Bear Canyon Library was established in 1998 to support the need to expand Bear Canyon's library services. The expansion of the library was approved by the County Commissioners in 1999 and the renovated facility opened in 2005.
As you would expect, the Friends promote reading and books for all age levels, toddler through adult. Summer reading programs for children and teens are always a priority. In addition to reading programs at the library, we lend support to the outreach programs for children in our neighborhood schools and sponsor a monthly adult book discussion group.
The Friends raise money to provide our library with equipment and programs which would otherwise be unavailable. This includes furniture, guest speakers, computers, and special programs for all ages.
Over the years we have purchased books for the library to honor individuals, for special projects, and to enhance the library's existing collection of materials.
We are committed to supporting volunteers for the library and honor them and the library staff throughout the year.
Join us on the fourth Thursday of each month at the Friends of the Kirk-Bear Canyon Library Book Discussion Group.
Friends' Projects Past and Ongoing
- A major project was the bronze and stone sculpture placed at the main entrance to the library early in 2008.
- Stock and maintain the self serve book cart at the library's entrance, and hold periodic book sales.
- Sponsor the Bear Canyon Library monthly book discussion group.
- Provide funds for promotional materials used during National Children's Book Week.
- Fund holiday celebrations for the library staff and volunteers.
- Participate in retreats sponsored by the PCPL Library Boards and Friends.
- Fund library programs for teenagers and children throughout the year.
- Fund special interest and hobby classes for adults.
- Hold FKBCL Board retreats to consider long-range goals and possible new projects.
The Friends receive funds for their projects from memberships, donations, and book sales.
There are several levels of membership available: individual, family, or life. You may join at the library or by submitting the membership form below.
The Friends welcome donations from individuals or groups. We are a 501(c)(3) tax-deductible organization and also are eligible for matching donations from employers.
Join the Friends of the Kirk-Bear Canyon Library
Student Membership – $5/year
Good Friend – $10/year
Family Friend – $20/year
Devoted Friend – $50-99/year
Best Friend – $100+/year
Please send your completed membership form to:
Friends of the Kirk-Bear Canyon Library
8987 E. Tanque Verde Road, #309A
Tucson, AZ 85749–9399
We will send you confirmation of your membership. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: email@example.com
- Membership is a way of becoming actively involved in supporting your local library.
- Membership helps promote a love of reading for all ages.
- Membership enables the library to offer programs unavailable from tax dollars.
- Membership is an opportunity for you to join others in advocating for a strong library system.
- Membership offers you periodic news from the library and notice of upcoming book sales.
- Dues and contributions are tax-deductible.
- Pat Bergen, President
- Glory Averaino, Vice President
- Sue Trombley, Secretary
- Barbara Thompson, Treasurer
- Judy Bowden, Director (2015)
- Bonnie Carpenter, Director (2014)
- Helen DeVries, Director (2016)
- Cindy Larson, Director (2016)
- Jean Neilsen, Corresponding Secretary
- Dianne Thomas, Director (2016)
- Barbara Thompson, Director (2015)
- Sue Trombley, Director (2015)
Board meetings are held the third Friday of every month (excepting summer months) at 10 a.m. in the library meeting room. All members and prospective members are welcome to attend the annual meeting held in October.
It's Good to be a Friend: A 200-member strong 501(c)(3) tax-deductible organization!